Get ready and get comfortable!
The 2017 strawberry picking season at Jones Family Farm in Shelton CT at the Pumpkinseed Hill and Valley Farm locations began June 7.
Before heading to the farm call the Farmer Jones Crop Line at 203-929-8425 to get the daily update on which farm is ready to be picked that day.
Normal picking hours are Monday through Saturday 8am until 5:30pm and Sundays from 8am until 12pm. Always check the Crop Line on the day you plan to pick.
When you arrive, pick up your harvest box from the farm assistants and head to the Berry Ferry, which will transfer you to the fields. The large harvest box holds about 8 lbs. when filled to the rim.
How should you dress?
You will want to be prepared for comfortable picking by dressing appropriately.
Wear sturdy, closed-toe shoes and bring a hat, water and sunscreen. It’s hot in the fields, and the work can be demanding... but the 'fruits' of your labor will pay off with the enjoyment of sweet, succulent fresh picked strawberries.
How do you pick a strawberry?
There is a technique.
Lift the green leaves and pick berries that are completely red.
Fact: Berries do not ripen after picking!
Leave about a ¼” stem on the berry which prevents bruising the berry and makes the berry stay fresher longer.
In order to ensure the safety of the crops, Jones Family Farms asks that those who visit:
- · Wash hands before picking or after using a restroom facility
- · Do not bring pets or plan to picnic on the farm
- · Follow government guidelines for food safety include washing produce before eating, wearing clean clothes while harvesting, and not harvesting when feeling ill.
What is the cost to pick?
The price posted on date of this post was $4.29/lb.under 8 lbs. in one box; $2.99/lb over 8 lbs. in one box. That's my box to the right with just over 10 pounds!
You can also purchase the berry box for $2 and reuse it on subsequent visits for a savings.
There is also a plastic Berry Basket with a $12 "All you can carry" price.
Enjoy your luscious, fresh-picked strawberries. Eat them as they are, drizzle with some chocolate, make smoothies, add on top of cakes or cheesecakes, make a pie (see recipe below), or make a strawberry margarita. Jones Family Farm strawberry recipes has a LOT of cool recipe ideas!
Fun Fact: Strawberries are the only fruit that wear their seeds on the outside with the average berry having about 200 seeds.
I make my own strawberry pie with my original recipe. It is so simple and always a hit......and it disappears very quickly. Enjoy!
Barbara’s EASY Fresh Strawberry Pie
1-1/2 quarts fresh strawberries (approx.)
½ - ¾ cup sugar, depending upon taste
½ cup flour
2 pie pastry sheets
- Hull, wash and dry strawberries. Slice larger ones.
- Mix the strawberries with the sugar and flour, blending thoroughly.
- Pour into pie plate lined with one pie pastry sheet. Dot with butter.
- Place top pastry sheet onto pie and flute (seal edges)
- Brush with whipped egg white/splash of water misture and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 400 for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 and bake for 30-35 minutes or until top is nicely browned..
- Cool and serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Sweet Succulent Strawberry Picking at Jones Farms Shelton CT 2017